1) What did the journey to your crown look like?
I have competed since I was 16. What was once something I just wanted to try with a cool crown and sash quickly developed into a drive and passion to make a difference. I realized holding a title was the opportunity to use my voice to implement the change I wanted to see. I had the opportunity to be crowned Miss Wisconsin in many organizations along with placing at the national level multiple times, and an extremely honored to be serving as Miss Wisconsin earth USA 2020. Being a curvy titleholder has shown me that the pageant industry is changing and though not all organizations are as progressive, there are many are starting to celebrate women of all shapes and sizes. Being a positive role model and a great titleholder is not indicative of fitting a certain mold of external appearance.
2) What tips would you give to pageant competitors? Do not change who you are for what you think the judges want.
3) Do you have a favorite wine, or drink? I am a Champagne girl.
4) Dream pageant gown designer? I am actually currently having my Miss Earth USA gown designed by a designer in the Philippines!
5) What are your makeup go-to’s for a quick beat? Concealer for my dark circles!! And always mascara.
6) What was your first pageant competition like? SO FUN. I also had no idea what I was doing and thought I would win; I did not. But I fell in love and haven’t stopped since.
7) Current read? MUST READ: The New Jim Crow
8) Which portion of competition is your fave? Interview. This allows me to tell the judges my goals, passions and why I’m there and to me that is the most important thing.
9) If you could travel anywhere where would you go? Around the world. I want to go to so many places, my next stop will probably be France or Thailand!
10) How do you balance your pageant, work, and personal life? My planner is my life. I do so much all the time and if it isn’t written down, I’m forgetting about it until the day of which is definitely stressful and something I always try to avoid!
11) Give us a good motivational quote that inspires you: “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Gahndi
20) Would you consider yourself a hero?
I’ve actually never thought about it. I’ve always aimed to be a positive role model and advocate. I always have wanted to be a person people feel inspired by and can help them be comfortable in their own skin. I’ve always done my best to advocate for those that couldn’t advocate for themselves. But do I see myself as a hero? No. Just a person trying to make the world a better place.
13) Bedtime routine?
I am NOT a morning person, so I shower at night. I wash my face, always deep condition my hair, and I put moisturizer on my face. I always brush my hair wet and put it in a low bun to sleep because my hair is naturally curly and I usually leave it natural so this helps it from becoming frizzy and tangled while I sleep. I have a chihuahua, so I cuddle with him and watch Netflix and unwind then go to sleep!
14) What artist are on your playlist? Honestly, Blackbear is my favorite. Also Khalid.
15) How did you decide on your evening gown? I was contacted by a newer Filipino designer who is a big fan of Miss Earth and is designing gowns for the miss Philippines contestants. I decided to just go for it and not do my traditional look online, buy 3 dresses and not like any of the, as it always causes me so many issues. We shall see in the coming months how it turns out!
16) What are 3 words you would use to describe yourself? Outgoing, Passionate, Driven
17) Favorite junk food? Flaming hot Cheetos
18) One global issue that tugs at your heart: Climate change, which is also a huge reason I chose to compete with Miss Earth. We are single handedly destroying our only home. If changes are not made, humanity will no longer exist. If we want to continue as a species, we need to take immediate action. I personally have made changes in my living to be more environmentally cautious and I believe it is all about spreading what you know and learning new things to ultimately make bigger changes and create a bigger, positive impact.
19) What is your favorite movie? Phantom of the Opera, Moana and Coco
20) Who do you consider to be your hero? My mama. She is the most loving, hardest working, passionate woman I have ever known or seen. She puts others first, and always makes time for anyone that needs her. At 50 she’s finishing up her PhD, working as a nursing instructor, running a board for an underprivileged community and so much more while caring for her loved ones to the ends of the earth.
21) How do you unwind on a Sunday evening? I work every Sunday so when I get home usually a bath, snack and watching whatever show I’m watching at the time.
22) Give us your best Pageant Patty answer: Describe your perfect date? I want to type it but I want to also say what mine personally is: September 10th because it’s starting to show signs of fall while still being warm and everyone is excited for a new school year and new memories and the energy of this time makes me so happy.
Catch up with Emma on this week’s episode of Pageants & Prosecco, the Podcast. Streaming now on on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, Breaker, Radio Lab, Anchor on whereever else you listen to your episodes.