One of the world’s most glamorous nights is upon us, the Miss Universe 2019 pageant. Or is this considered a competition now too? Nonetheless as we sit back, turn the volumes up on FOX and await our newest Queen to be $5 million crowned, what would be a true pageant event without a glass of wine or two, or three. Here is our list of the top wines to drink and when to enjoy it during each phase of competition. Happy sipping!
PreGame ahead of the telecast:
- Prosecco – a light bubbly Italian sparkling wine. Miss Universe is here once again! It’s a time to celebrate. Catriona served beautifully all year and now it’s time to see if the Philippine-Dynasty continues with Gazini Ganados or will Miss Thailand Paweensuda Drounin help them see another consecutive Top 10 placement? Or will India get their chance to break into the Top 20? Will South Africa prove supreme Queen once again and regain the throne?? Let’s pop open a Prosecco and get ready for the show!
When the Top 20 are called:
- Pinot Grigio: This light white wine is perfect for when the semi-finalists are announced. The crispness of the taste of apricots and peaches allows us to relax as we cringely watch the women get called based of their regions. (Who else is against this idea?) But as the Wild Cards are announced, pouring more as we anticipate if our pick is going to make it in or not is never a bad idea. Who’s judging?
- Moscasto D’Asti: Arguably, this is just about everyone’s favorite phase of competition from pageant fans to competitive crown chasers, so it’s no wonder pouring up a glass of Moscasto D’Asti is a perfect guilt-free way to drink something sweet as we consider if we should renew those gym memberships. Asti’s come with a little bit of frizzante and are typically sweeter than your regular Moscatos.
Top 10 Announcement
- Cabernet Sauvignon – depending on which countries are called, we may need to go heavy and get into our reds as the competition turns up the heat. As in true IMG fashion, there will be more than 3 or 4 surprise contestants getting their chance at the Power of Unity crown who otherwise might not have. So sipping on something heavier and full-bodied will help as we adopt another country as ours or clutch our pearls at the show’s production. Either way, a Cab is going to carry all of our emotions rollercoaster as the competition becomes fierce, in our Tyra voice.
- Chardonnay: A good buttery one is always going to be my choice. Chardonnay is a good option because it may match this year’s color theme of metallic gold and silver we will more than likely see on the runway. The darker in color your Chard, the longer it aged in oak resulting in a creamy, butter, mellow taste as the women slowly float their way down the runway. (I wouldn’t be mad if you brought this back out during the Final Look).
Top 5 Announcement and Onstage Questions:
- Beaujolais Nouveau: This is the season for a nice Beaujolais, it’s one of the first wines to make it’s debut shortly after the grapes are harvested. It’s a young wine that doesn’t require aging like most other reds so it comes with a fruitier taste with just the right amount of elegance as we admire this year’s new class of women who advanced to the Top 5. Their image will go down in history and with a new 2019 Beaujolais Nouveau in your glass it’s the best concoction to welcoming our soon to be queen as we watch the Top 5 during the year.
Top 3 Final Look: See Evening Gown’s wine choice
Miss Universe Crowning!!
- PROSECCO! Saving the best for last! As the new Miss Universe is crowed in her $5M Mouawad Crown we’ve come full circle in our wine journey together. Prosecco is Italy’s version of Champagne so depending on your budget, popping open a bottle of your finest Champagne is the move if your contestant made it all the way. Congrats to you!
(If your country was robbed this year, opt for going back to your Cabernet Sauvignon for the rest of the night)
Enjoy & happy Miss Universe Day!